Post-Operative Instructions is a compiled list of all the necessary steps to do and not to do after a hair transplant surgery, and this is handed out to the patient in printed copies after the surgery takes place and the patient is ready to leave the clinic and go home.
After the surgery and on the Night of the surgery
- At the night of having a hair transplant surgery the patient is supposed to keep his/her head elevated and do not lie down and continue this for some consecutive nights maybe with a back rest of pillows. Sleeping pills and pain killers are prescribed and might be used if necessary.
- The following morning of the hair transplant surgery patients can take a shower to relieve from last night fatigue and feel relaxed, but do not let the force of the shower touch the head. It is advised to remove the headbands for soaking excess blood fluid dripping and gently wash the head with the prescribed medicated shampoo and avoid touching the head too much and using force of water, instead use a mug of water or your hands to sprinkle on top of the head; this might take time and second help.
- With FUE hair transplant there might be some amount of swelling on the frontal area of the the scalp to forehead this is much likely to subside within a week. Subjective medication are given for this.
The week following the surgery
- Be very gentle with the hair transplants during the first of the surgery. Do not touch the transplanted area or try to see the length of the grafts by holding it between your finger or let others touch it, or pets to scratch on it. Weather it is a FUT or FUE hair restoration surgery, patients should be careful during having a shower to not allow fast force of water to hit the scalp as it might obviously damage the new hair grafts yet suiting in the new place. Use the medicated shampoo provided at the clinic.
- Avoid alcohol till at least 5days post a hair transplant surgery. And religiously refrain from smoking and any kind of nicotine consumption for at least 2 weeks post surgery, as smoking and nicotine can cause severe infections on the raw wounds.
- Avoid direct sunlight on the grafts. If it is important to go out in the sun, then wear a clean and thick hat or bandana. But be gentle while putting it on and off and do not adjust in a way that it rubs with the newly planted hair grafts.
Effluvium Telogen / Shock Loss
Shock loss or shedding is a common side effect of hair transplant surgery that occurs in the recipient area wherein some amount of hair usually of the miniaturized ones would fall off shortly after a hair restoration surgery. However, this doesn’t usually mean hair loss, as surgeons at H & S Hair Transplant Clinic define the fact to be normal and harmless.
Shock Loss or Shedding which is medically known as Effluvium Telogen occurs due to stress laid on the scalp during a hair transplant surgery that the area is injected with local anaesthetics it numbs and constricts the blood then the pinprick holes are drilled into the scalp which is all together an alien experience for the transplanting hairs and the scalp and this leads the hairs to reach the telogen or resting phase out of shock. But as we know it that hair fall and hair loss are two different things, shock loss doesn’t impair hair follicles, and sooner or later the hair will grow again.
Final Results and Expectations from a hair transplant surgery
A proper and prospective hair transplant surgery can result in finer scars and faster healing. Where the FUT process takes about 10days to heal the linear scar and 1-4 months for the scar to fade off depending on the size of the scar, FUE process even takes lesser time but the donor area would be thinner that what it used to be.
After 10days there will be a post-surgical examination back at H & S Hair Transplant Clinic London, and patients are encouraged to visit the clinic otherwise the same can be done through phone or internet. Patients are always welcome to come back for any queries, complaints, or problems after their hair transplant surgery or hair loss treatment.